As followers of Christ, and especially as missional workers, we must learn to live a lifestyle of surrendering our rights.
- Write on the board the rights that you consider to be important?
- What level of comfort do you feel that these rights give you?
- How important are they to you?
- What types of messages do we see in our society today that promote our belief in our rights? See this article for examples.
What rights do we have as a Christian?
Read each of the scriptures and write down which right we are giving up as a follower of Jesus:
- Philippians 2:1-11
- Romans 14:13-18
- Galatians 5:13-15
- Matthew 10:38-39
How did Jesus and Paul view their rights?
- Break up into two groups
- Group 1: Jesus – Read John 10:1-21
- Group 2: Paul – Read 1 Corinthians 9:1-23
- Answer these questions, writing down your answers to share:
- What is happening in the story that you are reading? What is the context?
- How does Jesus / Paul see their own rights?
- What rights are they laying down? Write out each one.
- Why? What is the purpose for laying down each right?
- How do you think that his example changes your perspective about your rights?
- Come back together as a group and report on the discussion you had as a group?
Make it Practical
- Take a few minutes in silence to ask yourself and the Holy Spirit what rights you will need to lay down as you continue to follow the path that God has for you.
- Write down your answers to this question.
- Find a partner – Tell them what you have written down and pray for one another to give these rights to God, allowing him to help you lay down these rights for the sake of his kingdom.